Martin F. Hanley bought the farmland on which his house sits in 1847. It is a simple, but elegant Greek Revival house with an interesting paint scheme.
Abandoning the more typical white of Greek Revival houses meant to emulate white marble, the Hanley House uses an olive green color, which sets off nicely with the surrounding lawn.
The front porch looks like a Greek temple, though it utilizes square columns with an almost Tuscan order for the capitals.
The use of simple red brick, which was clearly not the most expensive available at the time judging from its condition, contrasts nicely with the green tones throughout the grounds. A back porch provided views of the farmland of what is now downtown Clayton.