Designed by William Reeves and John M. Baile, the old McLean County Courthouse sits in the middle of the square in downtown Bloomington. A hulking 1903 Beaux-Arts structure that is quite beautiful even perhaps if the Baroque dome is a bit undersized for its overall composition. Unlike what is claimed on the McLean County Historical Society website, the dome is not really based off of the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. The quality of craftsmanship is superb, and the courthouse still commands a mighty presence.
It wouldn’t be Illinois if there wasn’t a bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln nearby.