Minneapolis City Hall is a magnificent pile of stone in the Romanesque Revival style, groundbreaking occurring in 1889 and the building not being completed until 1906. It was originally used for both the City of Minneapolis and for Hennepin County and its courthouse, in a relationship not unlike how Cook County and Chicago share a block and two identical buildings back to back in the latter city’s Loop.
The architects for the building were Franklin B. Long and Frederick Kees.
One tower is taller than the other, and a light rail train line goes right by the building.
It is an absolutely huge building, dominating its portion of downtown.