The road heading north from Shelbina into Shelbyville, the county seat, is lined with abandoned houses. An elevator dominates the east side of the road. Relatively isolated away from major highways, the town is still small.
The courthouse, designed by Jerome B. Legg and completed in 1892. It is well maintained, and typical of many courthouses in America, where the lower building is in one style, and then the cupola is in another. The lower building is firmly in the Romanesque Revival.
While the dome is much more of a Classical Revival dome, with Renaissance and Baroque elements.
The town square has some businesses left, but many are vacant.
As is also common in this area, the wood frame church in the Gothic Revival style is evident in Shelbyville as well.
Much of the rest of town has small houses, in various states of repair.