Henry Semple Ames or his mother?most likely had this building constructed in 1889, during the boom years for Grand Center. Its neighbors are gone; it was later owned by a Ms. Cushman after the Ames family moved out in the early Twentieth Century. Ames served as the president of a myriad of railroads and other industrial concerns, fitting for a resident of Lindell Boulevard.?Ames Place was later named after his family. This style of architecture, a combination of many different styles such as Shingle, Romanesque and others is fast disappearing in St. Louis. It now serves as a banquet center for SLU.