The first owners of this stately 1895 house seem to be William Becker, and then presumably his son and daughter-in-law John and Adele Dittmann Becker. Like many prominent St. Louisans, they participated in the masked ball celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of the city. They attended church in the Central West End at the Church of the Unity on Watermann. It also looks like the house stayed in the family for at least two generations, before passing into the Hilliker family, whose descendants still own it.
It’s Romanesque Revival, but not slavishly so in the Richardsonian manner so popular in St. Louis after the Civil War.
But the hallmarks, heavy stone Roman arches with foliated ornamentation, are still there.
The cantilevered porte-cochere is a nice touch.