This row of houses hides the location of the former Roman Catholic church of St. Columbkille’s one of the three most important patron saints of Ireland along with St. Bridget of Erin and St. Patrick. It was demolished back in the 1950s and after the parish closed in 1952. The cornerstone was laid on June 23, 1872, about the same time as the Carondelet School, which shares the other side of the block. The first priest, Michael O’Reilly, opened the church for Irish “roughnecks” who worked at the nearby Vulcan Ironworks. Construction finished in February of 1873.
We have an idea of what it looked like due to some photographs taken before its demolition. It looked like many churches in St. Louis before they were expanded due to the growth of the congregations. This one never expanded and its original building now no longer exists.