Rapid growth along the St. Charles Rock Road in the years after World War II translated into concurrent expansion of religious institutions along the corridor. First Baptist Church of St. John found its new church buildings too small for its congregation in the matter of years as the number of congregants grew.
The Post-Dispatch reported in 1955 that ground was breaking for this present Modernist church that could hold 1,000 worshippers on the first floor. While frustratingly the article did not mention the architect, it did mention that it would cost $450,000. The second newest building is just visible beyond the tower and front porch below.
Large stained glass clerestory windows show how ecclesiastic architecture in both Catholic and Protestant churches adapted to a new era in church buildings.